Wettermark Keith logo

Karl Trucks is now an attorney at Wettermark Keith. You can view his profile on their site by clicking here or email him at [email protected].

What do I do if I have a car accident?

Check to see if you or any other occupants of your vehicle are in need of medical attention. If so, call 911 immediately.  Turn on your emergency flashers.  Make sure that it is safe to exit your vehicle.  If you can safely leave your vehicle, check to see if the occupants of the other vehicle(s) are in need of medical attention. If so, call 911.  Contact the proper law enforcement agency and report the crash.

While you are waiting on law enforcement, preserve as much evidence as possible.  Use a camera or smartphone to take photographs of the vehicles before they are moved!  Also, photograph damage to vehicles and any other property damage caused by the collision.  Make sure that you photograph the license plates of all vehicles involved, write down the names and contact information of any witnesses, including the driver of the other vehicle(s).

Remain with your vehicle ONLY if it is safe to do so. Otherwise, find the closest safe place to wait for law enforcement.  Make sure that you have your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance available for the officer working the crash scene.  Provide any information requested by law enforcement, but do not speak with other persons about the crash UNTIL after you have spoken with an experienced personal injury attorney.  Seek medical attention as soon as possible after the crash. Do so even if you believe that you are alright. Many injuries do not materialize until days after the accident.


If you need an attorney to help with your claim, call us at (850) 230-5550!