Wettermark Keith logo

Karl Trucks is now an attorney at Wettermark Keith. You can view his profile on their site by clicking here or email him at [email protected].

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What do I do when I have been in a car accident?

  1. Check to see if anyone needs medical attention. If so, call 911 immediately.
  2. Turn on your emergency flashers, and if you wish to exit your vehicle make sure it is safe to do so.
  3. Call the proper law enforcement agency and report the crash. While waiting on law enforcement, make sure to document as much evidence as possible:
    • Use a camera or smart phone to take photographs of the vehicles before they are moved.
    • Photograph damage to vehicles and any other property damaged caused by collision.
    • Photograph the license plates of all vehicles involved.
    • Write down the names and contact information of any witnesses.
  4. Provide any information requested by law enforcement, but do not speak to any other persons (including the insurance company) about the crash until after you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
  5. Seek medical attention as soon as possible after the crash. Do so even if you believe you are alright. Many injuries do not materialize until days after the accident.

What’s the big difference between a private attorney and a public defender?

The biggest difference is the amount of time that an attorney is able to spend on your case. Most of the time a public defender will have too many cases open to be able to spend the necessary quality time working on any one file. It’s not that they don’t care about your case, they just don’t have the time to dedicate to you.

The other difference is that when you hire a private attorney, they will appear at court on your behalf so you do not have to physically be there at every court date. Most public defenders require you to be there at every court appearance.

How much does it cost to hire Mr. Trucks?

The answer to this depends on the kind of law he will be assisting you with.

If you need his assistance with Social Security Disability, you will not be required to pay him unless he wins your case. If he is successful in winning and you are entitled to back pay, then the Social Security Administration will set aside a portion for your attorney’s fees.

If you need his help with an auto accident case, the answer is you do not pay him anything up front. Our fee is based on the contingency of us winning your case. If we are successful in winning your case then his fee is 1/3 of the total amount you settle for and any out of pocket expenses we have incurred over the course of your case.

If you need his help because you have been arrested on a criminal matter, you should contact him at (850) 230-5550 for your free consultation and he will be happy to help assist you and give you a quote.

What do I do if I am approached by law enforcement?

You have the right to remain silent.  Use it! As soon as you see law enforcement, it is time to stop talking.  There is virtually nothing you can say that will help your case.  Law enforcement is not there to assist you.  They are there to gather evidence, and you are not obligated to help.  If necessary, you can always speak to law enforcement at a later date when your attorney is present.  Be polite, but be firm, when advising officers that you are exercising your right to remain silent.  The best way to avoid a Miranda dispute is to refuse to speak with law enforcement from the beginning.